Saturday 19 August 2017

[INTERVIEW] NU'EST for Ceci Korea

"Throughout the interview, the words "family" and "brothers" were often mentioned. With the name of NU'EST W, the 4 of them who first came to our sides, they looked as strong and sturdy as much as the time that they had spent together." 


Including the news of 10,000 seats at the fan meet getting sold out in 3 minutes, several positive incidents have been happening. NU'EST W's first song "If You" is also maintaining its upper rank on music charts, and the mini concert on V Live also made you the 3rd idol to receive 100 million hearts. Personally, if there was one incident which was the most memorable, what would it be? 

JR: I'm most happy about the fact that the fan meet got sold out. We had a lot of worries about whether we would be able to fill up 10,000 seats at the fan meet. However, hearing that it got sold out in 3 minutes, it didn't seem real to us. 'When did we evolve into this? What is this?' We felt like this. 
Aron: Should I say that we're happy but bewildered?
Baekho: We mentioned a lot in the past that we wanted to do a fan meet. It feels like we're realizing a dream. It's also the first fan meet that we're doing as NU'EST W. 
JR: While doing many performances overseas, our parents have never once properly watched our concert/performance before. This time, it seems we'll be able to show ourselves (to our parents) in a wide concert hall. 

What do you think it'll be like when you get to show your parents yourselves on stage? 

Ren: I think that sense of reality will only occur to me when it actually happens. Right now, I cannot imagine it at all. 



After announcing NU'EST W, the first one to go on stage on a music show was Aron. How was it to do a featuring in Raina's song "Loop"? 

Aron: It was the first time going on stage in almost 1 year, and not having the members together with me was both pressurizing and very nerve-wrecking. Thankfully, more than what I worried, it seems that it's going well. 

Aron is known for pulling jokes on the younger members a lot. Who is the member that you pull jokes on the most often? 

Ren: The members are already all looking at me. 
Aron: Afterall, it's because Ren's reactions are fun and he takes it well. So I often end up pulling jokes on him. 

NU'EST W is famous for the good relationship between the members. You were also with each other together a lot since you were young. However, in 'Produce 101 Season 2', your closeness and the way you pulled jokes wasn't shown on camera much. Did you purposely distance yourselves? 

Baekho: Did it look that way? It definitely wasn't done intentionally. 
JR: We were in different teams, and also because we had to go on our own ways (work hard on their own). In the beginning of the program, we also couldn't afford to pull any jokes, and didn't even have thoughts of those. Our heart to do everything well in all aspects was also big. 

On the contrary, after the program ended and seeing the outcome, it was also fascinating. Including Minhyun, all the members who went on the show had good outcomes. Have you ever thought about the reason for that yourselves? 

JR: To be honest, we are unsure of the reason for that as well. We really thought of it as the last, and didn't have any thoughts other than to just do our best. Not showing a shy image of us on stage came first, and rather than thinking about why people liked us, I think we always only thought about the stage. Since all the other trainees had the same thoughts and pinned their lives on it too, our will to not fall behind was really strong. 
Ren: Wouldn't it be because people saw that side of us and naturally ended up liking us? 

Through the program, JR's proper image and his personality to give up for others was emphasized greatly. Having that kind of attention, personally, wasn't it pressurizing? 

JR: I get shy often. I'm happy to hear things like that, but I'm shy. 

What if the members were to do a bit of exposing on JR? "JR also has this side to him!" 

Aron-Ren: His usual self is exactly the same as on broadcast. There's nothing to expose. 
Baekho: Even if I tried to expose him, it's only of the extent of saying that he plays games a lot in our dorm? (laughs) The thought that we all have in common is that, although it's important for me to catch attention on stage, in order to do that, firstly, we have to first create the stage itself well. However, JR takes on the role of the leader well and with responsibility, and also gives concession to us well. He's the kind that draws out the overall image well. 

Ren was mentioned a lot as a member that the trainees from Produce 101 were close to. Is there a secret on how to get close to that many people in a short time?
Ren: Firstly, everyone had good personalities, and I'm the kind that likes to get close to everyone without exceptions. After all, in such a program, the younger trainees may be uncomfortable with the older hyungs. However, because I approached them in a way that was more like a friend, I think we got close quickly. 

NU'EST W also showed unconventional and diverse concepts. Looking back, is there a concept that was most memorable for you personally? 

Aron: All of our promotions were fun. But if I really had to chose, the relatively recent 'Overcome' and 'Love Paint' promotions seemed to have matched both the team's colour and myself well. 
Baekho: I'd like to try doing another song that's like 'Hello' now. It's a song that's very touching and ambient. 
JR: When we did 'Hello' promotions, we were minors. Wouldn't we be able to express more emotions now? If I really had to choose one, the 'Face' stage where we achieved our aspirations was the most meaningful, and holds many memories too. 

Ren is a member who tried a variety of things, how was it? 

Ren: 'Overcome' was the end of my long hair. (laughs) I'm the kind that enjoys trying out things and the reactions that follow it. Since I was in my 10s, it also seems I challenged it without fear. 

Not too long ago, it was Baekho's birthday. The members all uploaded their wishes on SNS. Did you expect it? 

Baekho: Usually, when there is a birthday amongst one of the members, we uploaded a funny photo that we had. However, recently, there are many more people watching us and we became a topic.
JR: We are always the same. It's like this amongst the members too. 
Aron: This time round, if there was something that went differently, because there are many people watching, rather than uploading (image)-ruined photos, it was the extent of us trying to upload something cooler? 

And of course, the fact that you're receiving increasing interest and attention from people, it's something to be happy about right? In particular, what exactly makes you the happiest? 

JR To be honest, everything that happens recently makes me happy so.... 
Aron Hearing our songs on the streets! Hearing the songs that we promoted in the past, on the streets, makes me really happy. 
Ren For me, it is when my parents tell me things like "Somebody I know said that they like you guys". 
JR Of course, when our parents ask us for autographs, it makes us happy. 

The most recently promoted 'Love Paint' had especially a high amount of the members' participation. What will the soon-to-be-released NU'EST W album be like? 

Baekho: For now, the thing that we can tell you is that we are really working hard to prepare for it, and we are considering a lot on how we can show the members' individual charms. 

Do you have plans to move to a wider and better dorm? 

JR: Last December, we actually shifted. It's already adequately big and good enough. 
Aron: It did feel a little cramped when our rooms were getting filled with the gifts from our fans. 

Is there something that you like among the items that you recently got? 

JR: A foot massage machine! It's warm and heated and it really feels like my exhaustion is relieved. 
Aron: When JR is out of the dorm on schedule, I also secretly entered his room and used it (laughs). 

Is there a hobby that you cannot give up even despite being busy recently? 

Ren: Watching videos is my hobby. Not too long ago, on a variety show I watched Black Pink's Lisa dance Thai dance and it was a fresh shock. 
JR: For me it's gaming! I can't give games up. 
Baekho: My hobby is pulling all-nighters. I stay up in the studio too, and if I want to go to Busan late into the night I'll go to Busan too...
Ren: He's a really unique friend. 
Aron: Although I can't call this a hobby, since I've gotten really busy recently, but whenever a pocket of time frees up, I sleep. The fact that I'm able to spend my days busily, it's something I'm thankful for. 

It seems you're enjoying your separate activities well! Is there not a hobby that the members do together? 

Baekho: I'll assure you that there isn't. 
Ren: In the past, when we receive a question like this, no matter what, we would think of an answer but now, nothing comes to mind at all. 
JR: I think the fact that we can do the things we like separately is a good thing about us. 
Baekho: That's right. There's no meaning for us to go to Busan and then play our own games and watch our own videos. (laughs)

If there was something that changed after going on 'Produce 101', it must be that your real names are now heard a lot. How does it feel to have your real names known more than your stage names? 

Baekho: Even when they called Ren Minki, and Jonghyun JR, for me it was always 'Baekho'. It was the extent of even my mother saving my number in her phone as 'Baekho', but recently there have been many people who call me Dongho. 
JR: I'm also saying Dongho recently. I'm happy that our real names are getting known, since it is also the name that we wanted people to know about the most. 


The reactions around NU'EST W are really hot. During your 6 years, I'm sure there have been situations where you received advice, is there something that was especially memorable? 

Ren We often hear things like "The present is the most important, during times like this, you need to work even harder". 
Baekho I feel that to us, every moment was an important one. There isn't a time which is less important than another. 
JR If I were to say it again, we've not changed. Every moment is important, and every moment is meaningful to us. 

You went through a lot during the 6 years. How did you get through when something difficult happened? 

Ren: Since it's been 8 years since we started living together, I think that even without us saying it, we know each other's difficulties. 
JR: Because we obviously knew about the difficulties but we couldn't ask "are you okay?", we couldn't say anything other than to endure it well together. When we were sad, we were sad together and when something good happens, we would all smile about it together. 
Aron The very fact that I'm together with my members who have the same dreams and goals as me, that in itself, is (a source of) huge strength for me. 

As NU'EST W, is there something that you definitely want to achieve within the year? 

Baekho: For me, firstly, I think my next goal will only arise after finishing the fan meet well. 
Ren: I want to get 1st place. We haven't gotten 1st place on a music show yet. 
Aron: Me too!
JR: There isn't anything in particular that I want to achieve or what to do. I'll do well on the things that are given to me, and through that, if the people around me are happy, that will make me the most happy. 

scanned by morong721
translated by jetaimedongho
do not repost on twitter - only on other sites
please ask before retranslating

1 comment:

  1. Can I trans late it into my language? I will take out with full credit <3

    ReplyDelete