Tuesday 22 August 2017

[INTERVIEW] NU'EST for W Korea

You have returned as a unit "NU'EST W". It's said that 'W' is the abbreviation, what have the members' each waited for the most?

JR: The thing that I waited for the most was to meet the fans. Since we are returning through the name of NU'EST after a long time through the album that we are preparing for now, I'm anticipating how the fans will take to it, and what kind of reactions we'll receive.
Baekho: In August, we have a fan meet. We always had the greed to try doing a concert in a big concert hall, since we had lots to show. Because it seems like we are approaching that dream a step at a time, with a fluttering heart, I'm awaiting the fan meet.
Aron: Because this is our first promotions in awhile, I'm extremely excited. I want to work hard and show good images without being shy to our fans who have been waiting for us.
Ren: Since it's been long since we last did album promotions, I'm awaiting the activities. I want to quickly go on music shows too, and I really missed the stage.

JR (Kim Jonghyun), Baekho (Kang Dongho), Ren (Choi Minki) - the three of you appeared in <Produce 101> and got to let yourselves be known to others. Another member of NU'EST, Hwang Minhyun also got into the top 11 and is currently promoting with Wanna One. Is there a reason why Aron was the only one who didn't go on the program? 

Aron: At that time, my knee wasn't in a good condition. Before that during events, I couldn't dance and it was the extent where I could only sing while sitting so I needed time to recover. Of course, because the members were on the show, I kept up with the show real-time. Because the members were receiving good reactions, I too, felt proud.
Ren: After the broadcast whenever we went back to the dorm, Aron-hyung would be waiting and made food for us too.



 Even during the <Produce 101> filming, did the NU'EST members live together? 

JR: There was a period of time where we lived together on <Produce 101>, and apart from that period, when we were on the commute to and fro the filming, we continued to live together in the dorm just as before.
Aron: And so, while the kids were living together (on set), I guarded our dorm on my own and was lonely. I also asked the manager when it would end, what time they'd be coming back home. I didn't sleep and I waited too, and as I watched the broadcast, since the members were all doing so well, I cheered them on a lot telling them to gain strength.

In that case, who was Aron's one-pick? 

Aron: From the time when they started two-pick, it was tough so I didn't vote (laughs)

Apart from Aron, as the members participated in <Produce 101>, what do you think you earned and what do you think you lost? 

Ren: I did feel sad because I didn't have much broadcast screentime. The sides of me pulling jokes and playing with the other kids in front of the camera got captured a lot, but that kind of image (of me) didn't go onto the broadcast at all. Later on, the director comforted me and told me - the National Producers want to see us competing fiercely. Although I don't know if it's because there wasn't much captured of me in that aspect, but it doesn't matter, because from now, I'll be able to show what kind of a person I am through NU'EST W's promotions.
Baekho: I don't have any regrets. I think that the results were good too. But at the start I did feel sorry towards the fans who originally liked us (before the program). Because of that, I thought that I'd have to do even better without regrets.
JR: There's nothing I lost. For us, the position of us going onto the broadcast itself was different from the other participants. Going back to being trainees with several years of experience from promotions, did feel a little bit like cheating too. To be honest, it was a choice we made because we wanted to survive.

In the case of JR, you left a good impression of not only having stable skills, but also endlessly shared and helped the other participants who were falling behind. 

JR: It was because I had experience from our activities. I thought that the stage is what remains for the longest time, and I wanted to make the stages that I participated in itself legendary. That is something that doesn't happen just by me doing well alone. My personality also isn't the kind that tries to survive on my own.

In the members' opinion, is JR usually the kind that is born with the talent that teaches and helps others well, or was this acquired as he took on the role of NU'EST's leader? 

Ren: I think it's a case where it got developed.
Baekho: JR is the fastest at digesting choreography. After he learns it, when we practice amongst ourselves and there are stuff lacking, he would point it out to us and we would match it together. He's a leader-like leader.
JR: It's a case where I overcame everything with hard work because when I was a trainee, I was extremely bad. There was nothing I knew how to do, and seeing that, it seemed like I was losing to me so I didn't like it.
Baekho: Because he's not someone who is originally born to do well, but he made everything one by one, his foundation is more solid. So it looks like he is more stable, and he knows how to work hard.
JR: I'm the kind who thinks that there is nothing impossible. If I, who had no talent and couldn't do anything, could do it, so can other kids too. So there's more that I can share with others, because I went through hearing things like "when you dance your lines aren't pretty, you don't know how to put in your strength.."

Since you have such accumulated skills on your own, your confidence must be solid. 
JR: I don't quite believe in myself. But I believe in those around me, and my members.

While preparing for this comeback, what did the members talk about amongst themselves? 
Baekho: "Have you eaten?" "Let's eat!" Those kind of daily conversations.
JR: We talked about how we went through hardships during those times, since we know the best how each others' hearts/mentalities had a really hard time. From those around us, they're congratulating us on how we're doing well now, but I think that it will become different according to our next album. Because the expectations for us have now risen, if what we show does not match up to that extent, the disappointment will be huge too. Although there hasn't been a time where we didn't pin our lives on every album, this time we did it with a heart as if it were the last, with serious determination.

If you were to talk about the charms of the comeback special single "If You" which got released first?

JR: It's a song made by team Kiggen who composed "Daybreak" that I sang with Minhyun, and Choi Jinkyung. Although it's a lyrical song, it has a fresh and light feeling that can be listened to even on a hot day without pressure.
Ren: The fans also empathized a lot with the song's lyrics. When we looked at comments, there were some who said that they cried just by listening to the first line. It seems like it expresses our current situation well.

Are you the kind to meticulously monitor comments? In between that, because there are also hate comments and reading that it difficult on the heart, there are also celebrities who intentionally stay away from reading. 

Ren: I think it's not possible to not read it. This is a life and a job where we live because of fans, so as we read comments there are also aspects where we need to work harder on and correct. Of course, it does get daunting when we read negative comments but we once again pick ourselves up.
Baekho: I'm the kind that doesn't pay special attention to negative comments. It might be because all these while, as we promoted we didn't receive much attention. Hate comments are attention too.

After appearing on <Produce 101>, your past song 'Hello' had a chart reversal and became a topic. There were many reactions saying "Why is it that I only know of such a skilled team now?", how did that make you feel? 

Ren: For that aspect, apart from skills and the environment, there's also the factor of luck. The fact that we weren't able to be known up until now is our fate that we cannot do anything about, and the fact that we were able to overcome that also seems like a work of God.
JR: I felt like "it's a relief that we pinned our lives on every album we made until now". If the work we had done until now was not of good quality, we would have felt embarrassed and regretful when an opportunity like this for us to get rediscovered arose. We're also really thankful for the interest shown to the music that we made back in time. Of that amount, this time round our album is also pressurizing. From the position of someone who wrote the songs that will be included in our upcoming album, Baekho would feel this pressure even more.
Baekho: Although we haven't decided on how many songs that will be in the album, I'm in the process (of writing songs). We're currently at a stage where our members find parts that they like individually, and we are pondering over how we can precisely bring out each member's charms. Same goes for the kind of method that we have to use to show our synergy when we are combined together.

Since you're writing songs, I'm sure you have a good grasp of each member's vocal colour. What if you were to talk about their strengths one by one? 

Baekho: JR is a friend who can softly grab the balance/core, and he also has the appeal of being able to express our emotions well. Ren has a unique voice and there are times where his pronunciations are charming, so I'm working on how I can bring that out the best. Aron is good at rap too and has good vocals too, so he's a character that can be used diversely. And for me, I'm comparatively able to do higher notes and I think that my vocal colour has individuality.

In <Produce 101>, Baekho, with his unwavering personality, showed stirring/scary moments. In the team, are you also the kind to hold strong opinions? 

Baekho: Although I am not the leader, I think at times its necessary for me to be assertive in order for the leader to find the center/balance and organise things well. If it's impossible for me to have a conversation (on my opinions), we wouldn't have chosen a leader but a king.
JR: Even from the position of the leader, I like having many opinions discussed. It is thanks to this that the things I may have missed out, will not be let go of but will be caught onto. A leader is someone who pulls them from the front, while a king is someone who sends orders from behind.

What do you think is NU'EST's own strength that sets them apart from other idol groups? 

Baekho: In the past I used to think it was visuals but... (laughs) I think our balance when it's the 4 of us together is good.
Aron: And in addition to that, the fact that our characters and personalities are all distinctively different.
Ren: We're mostly the same age and although Aron is two years older, he came from overseas so since he's a peer that spent time together with like a friend, in that aspect I also think we have chemistry. Compared to teams that have a hyung-dongsaeng distinction and hierarchy, I think our fans also enjoy seeing how we live together like friends with each other comfortably.

In the future, if you were to do individual activities, in which area do you have interest in? 

Baekho: I'm the kind that is nocturnal, so I think I'd also be able to do well on a program like <Night Goblin> that Jonghyun is on now. I'd also like to try a program like <I Live Alone> or <Law Of The Jungle>
Aron: Because I've been unable to show a diversity of facets, I'd like to try everything. I'm recently promoting with Raina nuna on her solo song "Loop", and I'm also feeling the charm of radio shows once again. Even if it's not as  DJ, I think it'll be good to appear as a fixed guest. Radio has the cosiness/comfort that allows me to share my stories.
Ren: I've lots of interest in acting, but I just hope it wouldn't be romance, as I feel that I'm still lacking in knowing how to express that kind of feeling. Nine Muses Kyungri sunbaenim appeared as a romance character on the web drama <I'm Not A Girl Anymore>, and while watching her acting I thought that I'm still lacking a lot. I think it'll be good to try that in the future when I'm more mature. I think I'll do well on a character in a school-life setting or a sitcom where I can act with my real life experiences.

Even for teams that are on the right tracks domestically, overseas stages are a challenge that's not easy. Including Japan, you did activities overseas, is there a moment which was particularly memorable? 

Aron: During our South American tour, there was once we had no one to interpret for us. Thankfully, the concert promoter was someone who was good at English, so I took on the role of translating for us.
JR: Although it's good that we could do activities overseas and do many performances, it's pitiful that we could not show the same amount in Korea. During the time we were in Korea, if we did anything, our parents would have gotten to see it, so we always had thoughts of wanting to do the same in Korea too.
Ren: I think our Japanese activities were tough. It was frustrating that we completely lost all our spare time to watch movies or meet friends. It was the same when I wanted to eat something spicy too.

Looking at your appearances on Japanese broadcast, Ren seems to be very good at Japanese. 

Ren: Although it's not that I'm good at it, I'm the style that would just spit it out with confidence even if it's wrong. I'm not a Japanese, but I thought that it would not be fun/interesting from the perspective of people who have perfect command of language.

Using long-haired wigs or wearing skirts, Ren has attempted gender neutral visuals and is at the forefront of the gender fluid trend. 

Ren: I'm the kind who has no objections on things like genderless looks. At first, when the agency told me to do it, I was a little flustered but I think it was a concept that suited me well. The concept of men dressing like women is open, and I don't pay attention to what other people say. Because I can do better than Baekho (laughs).

What kind of characters are the members and what is your relationship with each other like? 

Ren: If JR is the person that grabs the weight of the group, Baekho is the one who helps and pulls that along. Aron-hyung organizes the situation well like a hyung and listens to our stories well. I usually talk to Aron-hyung when I have worries or I'm having a hard time, and that gives me a lot of comfort.
Baekho: Ren is the mood maker. In the practice room when we're feeling tired from dance practice, he would suddenly bring the atmosphere up and make us laugh.
JR: Since it's not like we're usually apart and only meet during schedules, we're always together when we go home so now we're similar to a family. It's neither a strength or a weakness but it's just the way things are and we accept each other.
Aron: It's a feeling where we're like brothers to each other.

Compared to your debut, it seems like you're filled with the feeling of starting over again with a different meaning. What kind of plans or anticipations do you have? 

JR: Honestly, to us, there are many things which are firsts. Whether it's going on variety, or going on stage, we feel it all in a new way. We have the strong will to challenge things no matter what they are.
Baekho: We always thought that it would be good if there was a chance for us to show ourselves, but there weren't much of such chances. Now we're happy, and want to work hard and do well.
Aron: From now, our actual fight begins now. We'll do everything.

As a 6-year team, what is something that you're confident about? 

Baekho: Because we're a team that maintained even throughout unfavourable situations, the members have trust in each other. If the situation gets better, we have the will and the energy to do even better.
Ren: Although I remember everyone's first impressions, everyone has become cooler and more mature from the time we were trainees. Our relationship has become a lot closer than the first time, so the aspect of us giving strength to each other is also huge.
JR: The fact that we had time to prepare. Although we're also nervous to receive a lot more attention since we're now coming out again, I think we'll definitely be able to show something well

What is your dorm life like? 

Aron: We use separate rooms. Our hobbies are all different, so we don't spend a lot of time together in particular in the dorm.
Baekho: A time when we're all gathered together in the dorm is when we eat. In our group chat we only talk about work and schedules. Anyway, we're always beside each other so I don't think there's a need to send messages. However, not too long ago, Aron-hyung went into JR's room and played Overwatch which was turned on the computer and slept (laughs)

You started off with your own goals and dreams. In your NU'EST career, approximately where in your goal do you think you are at now? 

Aron: I want to get #1 on a music broadcast. The members will all cry a lot. A broadcast accident might even happen because of the sea of tears. (laughs)
JR: I'm the kind that doesn't think much about wanting to realize something. I'm the kind that does my best in each moment and focus on the outcome. Rather than looking at the future distantly, I have stronger thoughts in wanting to do what's in front of me well. Since we'll be having our fan meet soon, that comes first.
Baekho: I definitely want to go to the awards ceremony at the end of the year. After that, I'll think about what's next.

scanned by ethoc_transibit
translated by jetaimedongho
do not repost onto twitter - only do so on other sites with full credit
please do not retranslate without asking first

No comments:

Post a Comment